Saturday, April 21, 2007

Being a Cleveland Sports Fan

Being a Cleveland Sports Fan isn't easy, never has, and probably never will. The teams are are down on their luck just like the economic environment they inhabit. No team in this city has won anything since 1964. Fast forward a decade later, and I still wasn't even born. All I have to base my memories on are losing season after losing season for the Tribe, mediocre to good Cavs' teams that got owned by Michael Jordan and crushing, bitter playoff defeats for my beloved Browns, even when they had the better team on the field. I hate the horse known as Elway almost as much as the inbred valley surrounded by three rivers. Cleveland has a lot of things wrong with it, that's for sure. However, it does have one HUGE thing going for it, it isn't Pittsburgh. The people and their passion for sports and hatred of Pittsburgh are what make this area second to none as a sports town. I definitely appreciate this more now that I live down in the DC area. When I got to DC people asked me, "Hey, Hardaway Hates Pittsburgh, why do you do root for Cleveland, man? What are you? Some kind of losing junkie?" I won't say a goddam word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the fan next to you. And that's it. That's all it is. *

*If you don't know where this line comes from, this blog definitely isn't for you.

No comments: