This is definitely the hot topic of the moment and I guess there is no better place for me to start. I am going to break down the top 5 prospects and give you my thoughts on them and why or why not they would be a good fit for the Browns. Any one of the following is going to be worth a high first round pick and will immediately make our team better.
5. Tommy Vardell - RB/Stanford - 6'2" 234 lbs - They don't call him "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell for nothing. He set the Stanford career touchdown record with 37 as well as the single season record with 20(!) his senior year! We need this kind of production in the backfield and even if he can only produce half of what he did in college, we will be good to go. His running style is similar to Jamal Lewis', the only difference being is he scores touchdowns like they were going out of style, which I'm sure he'll have no problem doing in the NFL.
4. Antonio Langham - CB/Alabama - 6'0" 187 lbs - 3 year starter at left corner for Alabama. Set school records for interceptions with 19 and INTs returned for TDs with 3. Was a first team All-American his senior year. Has excellent size and speed. I see him pairing up with Leigh Bodden to give us this millenium's version of Mighty Minnie and Top Dawg. Shutdown corners are hard to come by and it's going to be hard to pass up one with a resume like this. I see him making 4 or 5 Pro Bowls, minimum, and anchoring one CB slot for the next decade.
3. Craig Powell - LB/Ohio State - 6'4" 230 lbs - A high-motor LB that grew up right in our backyard. He has speed, speed and more speed. He plays hard all the time and was definitely not a reason the Buckeyes got their taints handed to them during the BCS Championship. He would provide more depth to one of the few strong points on the team.
2. Courtney Brown - DE/Penn State - 6'4" 285 lbs. - What's not to love about this guy? He plays hard every down, doesn't complain and doesn't have a bad attitude. He has been remarkably durable and has no injury history whatsoever. I see him being the next Lawrence Taylor at best and the next Jason Taylor at worst. This guy is awesome and should be a rock solid foundation for our D-line for years and years to come.
1. Mike Junkin - LB/Duke - 6'3" 242 - With the nickname "Mad Dog" how can you go wrong? He earned this nickname by being a nonstop force on the field, moving from sideline to sideline with his blazing 4.6 speed and eating up running backs like they had a milkbone on their back. He would be able to learn on the job from wily vet Willie McGinest and be ready for a full time starting position within a year or two. Teaming him up with Kamerion Wimbley would give us bookend LBs that would dominate the AFC North for years to come. We need playmakers, and aside from a fairly minor injury history, he's about as surefire as you're going to get. Absolutely no downside to this pick. At all.
As I said at the top of the post, any one of these picks are going to immediately improve our team and I would be happy with any one of them on our roster. Oh yeah, there's a running back out of Oklahoma named Adrian Peterson who has shown a lot of promise as well. If none of the above are available, I'd take him.